Melbourne Slip and Fall Lawyers
Premises liability attorneys in Titusville, Florida
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the most common non-fatal injury suffered by nearly all age groups is unintentional falls. Except for people aged 15 to 24, falls are the leading cause of injuries. For those aged 15 to 24, it is the second most common cause. Overall, the CDC reports that there are more than 8 million falls with injuries that occur in the United States each year. Property owners in Melbourne and Titusville – whether private or commercial – have a duty to people who enter their premises to provide a safe place for them to gather. A property owner must take all steps necessary to provide a safe environment for visitors. But often, that doesn’t happen, and people get hurt due to their negligence. If you’ve been seriously injured due to a property owner’s carelessness, call the Melbourne slip and fall lawyers at Couture Law P.A. to find out if you can hold them financially accountable in Brevard County courts.
Property ownership brings responsibility
People who own property are expected to:
- clean up spills or slippery areas
- make sure uneven pavement is repaired
- provide proper lighting
- secure loose tiles and rugs
- make sure walkways are clear of debris
- ensure stairs are clean and are slip-resistant
- make sure handrails are secure and available
- make sure elevators are in proper working order
Slip and fall claims for compensation
Under Florida law, there are several points that must be proven for a slip and fall lawsuit to be considered valid. These points include:
- the property owner created a dangerous condition that placed people at risk
- the property owner knew or should have known of the risk and failed to correct the problem
- the victim of the slip or fall would not have seen the situation as a risk so that it could be avoided
Your Melbourne slip and fall attorney will need to establish these facts and will do so from the evidence that is gathered surrounding the event.
Common premises liability injuries
Slips and falls can cause different types of injuries. However, some of the more common injuries seen in these types of accidents include:
- traumatic brain injury
- skull fractures
- spine or neck injuries
- broken, fractured, or sprained wrists and ankles
- rotator cuff injuries
- tailbone injuries
- hip injuries
Many of these injuries can cause significant discomfort and require long-term care. A slip and fall case may not be as simple of an event as many people may think.
Types of compensation for claims
Because every case is different, there is no hard-and-fast rule on what types of compensation the victim of the accident is going to receive. However, there are some very common forms of compensation that your attorney can seek on your behalf. These include:
- medical expenses. All current and future medical expenses related to the accident will be a part of your compensation package. Your attorney will work closely with medical professionals to determine the extent of future medical care you may require.
- loss of income. All income that you have lost due to the accident will be a part of your compensation. If you have a reduced capacity to earn in the future based on your injuries, or if you cannot return to work, your future earnings may also be incorporated into your compensation.
- loss of benefits. If your company actively contributes to your retirement or health care and you have lost these benefits, you may be able to seek compensation for these losses.
Additional forms of compensation, such as pain and suffering and loss of consortium, may be available. Your slip and fall lawyer will speak with you about all options available based on your case.
A Melbourne premises liability lawyer can help you
If you have sustained an injury due to a slip or a fall, speak with a Melbourne or Titusville slip and fall attorney about your rights to seek compensation. It is important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after the event to ensure that evidence is preserved and that the Statutes of Limitations do not expire.
How much does a personal injury attorney cost?
At Couture Law P.A. in Melbourne, you won’t pay a penny unless our personal injury lawyers prevail at trial, or procure a settlement on your behalf. This arrangement is commonly referred to as payment “on a contingency basis.” Suffice to say, we’ll help you fight for every dollar for your pain and suffering.
How much time do I have to file an injury lawsuit?
The period of time from the date of the accident until you no longer can file a claim is known as the “statute of limitations.” In Florida, the amount of time in which statutes expire varies by case type. The statute of limitations for most injury cases is four (4) years. For medical malpractice and wrongful death cases, it’s two (2) years. Always err on the side of caution by consulting with your Melbourne personal injury attorney.
Do I have a case?
Because no two cases are alike, Melbourne injury attorneys should gather and analyze all of the facts regarding your case before addressing this question. After tracking down and speaking with witnesses, we’ll give you a fair, honest assessment of your unique situation – and how we can help.
- Monday open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Friday open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday appointment only
- Sunday appointment only