Melbourne Truck Accident Attorney
Compassionate Counsel Representing Titusville
An average tractor trailer is 70 feet long and weighs up to 70,000 pounds when it is fully loaded. The sheer size and weight of these vehicles makes them a danger to any other vehicle on the road. An average car, by comparison, only measures about 15 feet in length and weighs about 4,000 lbs. It does not take much imagination to see how a car accident involving a semi can be catastrophic. If you’ve been hurt in an accident involving a semi truck in Melbourne or Titusville, you need a lawyer who will take on the insurance companies while you focus on recovery. The Melbourne truck accident attorneys at Couture Law P.A. have won numerous settlements in Florida accident cases, securing millions of dollars in settlement money for our clients. We stand ready to help you today.
Semi accidents: By the numbers
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), in 2013 (last data reported), there were 3,906 fatal accidents involving large trucks. In the same year, there were 73,000 accidents involving semi-trucks that resulted in one or more persons being injured. There were more than 265,000 cases reported that involved property damage only. That totals more than 341,000 accidents in one year involving a large truck.
The trucking industry is regulated by state and federal laws and regulations. These rules and regulations are in place to ensure the safety of the driver as well as to protect the other vehicles on the road. Failure to follow these rules and regulations can result in serious accidents.
Immediately after an accident with a truck, you are encouraged to consult with experienced counsel. Your Melbourne truck accident lawyer understands the broader laws and regulations surrounding accidents and will provide thorough representation. After you retain our firm, we’ll examine every aspect of the accident to determine who is at fault for the event. In many cases, there are multiple parties responsible for a big rig wreck. We’ll review:
- trucking log books to determine if the driver was over hours when the event occurred;
- load information to determine if it was overweight or packed wrong in the trailer;
- company policies to determine if they are within regulation of state and federal laws;
- company training and safety policies;
- maintenance records for the vehicle to ensure the company was keeping the truck operating in a safe manner;
- mechanic services to determine if maintenance was performed correctly and with the right parts;
- any manufacturer defects that may be an issue for the truck, causing it to be unsafe.
These reviews are in addition to reviewing the driving and safety record for the driver and any other relevant information that may have led to the accident.
Compensation for your injury
If you or your loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your losses. You may file for compensation for one or more of the following issues:
- current and future medical expenses: You are entitled to having all of your medical expenses covered concerning your injuries. These medical expenses will also include any future expenses you may have to complete your recovery or for continued care.
- loss of income and future earning capacity: You are entitled to receive compensation for any lost wages you have already incurred as a result of the accident. If you cannot return to work for a period of time, or if you cannot return at all, you are also entitled to receive compensation for your lost future wages. If your injury will allow you to return to work but at a lesser position, such as part-time or a less stressful position to accommodate your injuries, you are entitled to seek compensation for loss of future earning capabilities. In addition, if you receive any bonuses, contributions, or insurance premiums as part of your wages, you may also seek damages for losing these benefits.
- pain and suffering / mental anguish: The circumstances of your case may allow you to seek damages for pain and suffering and/or mental anguish. Your Melbourne truck accident attorney will discuss this option with you.
- punitive damages: In some cases if the reason for the accident was one that is deemed intentional, willful or malicious, the court may award punitive damages. These damages are above and beyond any losses that you have incurred and are meant as a punishment to the responsible party.
Don’t let another day go by without speaking with a truck accident attorney. A caring lawyer from Couture Law P.A. can meet you anywhere in Brevard County, or even at your hospital bed, if necessary. Call today to schedule a no-obligation consultation to learn how an accident lawyer in Melbourne or Titusville can help with your truck injury case.
How much does a personal injury attorney cost?
At Couture Law P.A. in Melbourne, you won’t pay a penny unless our personal injury lawyers prevail at trial, or procure a settlement on your behalf. This arrangement is commonly referred to as payment “on a contingency basis.” Suffice to say, we’ll help you fight for every dollar for your pain and suffering.
How much time do I have to file an injury lawsuit?
The period of time from the date of the accident until you no longer can file a claim is known as the “statute of limitations.” In Florida, the amount of time in which statutes expire varies by case type. The statute of limitations for most injury cases is four (4) years. For medical malpractice and wrongful death cases, it’s two (2) years. Always err on the side of caution by consulting with your Melbourne personal injury attorney.
Do I have a case?
Because no two cases are alike, Melbourne injury attorneys should gather and analyze all of the facts regarding your case before addressing this question. After tracking down and speaking with witnesses, we’ll give you a fair, honest assessment of your unique situation – and how we can help.
- Monday Open 24 Hours
- Tuesday Open 24 Hours
- Wednesday Open 24 Hours
- Thursday Open 24 Hours
- Friday Open 24 Hours
- Saturday appointment only
- Sunday appointment only